The 2024 AUGSA Council elections will take place in February and March 2024.
We encourage graduate students to familiarize themselves with the information on this page and consider running in the 2024 election.
The AUGSA Council Member nomination form will be made available here in January, 2024.
2024 Council Elections Timeline
- Friday, February 16th - 23th: Nominations Open
Friday, February 23th - March 1st: Candidate Preparation
- Date/time TBD: Candidate's Meeting (Option 1)
- Date/time TBD: Candidate's Meeting (Option 2)
- Monday, March 4th - 11th: Candidates Campaign
- Tuesday, March 12th & 13th: Online Voting Period
- Thursday, March 14th: Candidates Notified of Election Results
- Tuesday, March 19th: Election Results Approved at Council Meeting
- Tuesday, April 16th: Council Transition and election of Chair and Vice-Chair
AUGSA has eight (8) Council members. This includes two Council Members per faculty:
- Two (2) Council Members from Faculty of Science and Technology
- Two (2) Council Members from Faculty of Health Disciplines
- Two (2) Council Members from Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Two (2) Council Members from Faculty of Business
All Council Members are paid online (meetings for Council Members are via Microsoft Teams) positions offering $12,000 for a one-year term of service. Serving one-year terms from May 1 to April 30, Council's primary focus is student representation and advocacy. With the eight (8) Council Member paid position, two of these positions are appointed as Chair and Vice-Chair of Council upon the Councils first meeting. These two roles have an increased governing responsibility on Council.
- The Chair receives an additional $500 per month.
- The Vice-Chair receives an additional $250.00 per month.
Please ensure to read the role descriptions below prior to running in the AUGSA Council election. You can also review AUGSAs bylaws and policies for additional information on the roles and responsibilities of each position as well as election rules that govern the elections process.
- All Graduate Students are eligible to run in the AUGSA Elections.
- You must reside in Canada and be an *active member of the Association for the duration of the term (May 1 to April 31).
- All Council members must be *active members in good standing, successfully complete at least three (3) University graduate credits during their term in office and may not academically withdraw during their term.
- Students who are not in course-based programs and do not fulfill the three-credit requirement can participate/remain as a Council member if they get prior approval from a two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of Council. These students must remain in a graduate program and be actively paying program fees.
- Permanent full-time Athabasca University staff are not eligible to run for Council Member positions.
*Active members of the association includes all graduate students, program and non-program, at the University who are in good standing.