The 2023 Elections are now closed. The 2023-2024 AUGSA Council members will be updated on the AUGSA website in May.
Thank you to all the graduate students who participated in the 2023-2024 elections and we look forward to the upcoming term.
The next AUGSA Council elections will take place in February and March 2024.
2023 Council Elections Timeline
- Friday, February 17th - 24th: Nominations Open
Friday, February 24th - March 2nd: Candidate Preparation
- February 28th, 4PM MT: Candidate's Meeting (Option 1)
- March 1st, 6PM MT: Candidate's Meeting (Option 2)
- Friday, March 3rd - 9th: Candidates Campaign
- Thursday, March 9th & 10th: Online Voting Period
- Tuesday, May 9th: Scheduled Council Transition/Start Date
AUGSA has eight (8) Council members. This includes two faculty representatives per faculty:
- Two (2) Council Members from Faculty of Science and Technology
- Two (2) Council Members from Faculty of Health Disciplines
- Two (2) Council Members from Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Two (2) Council Members from Faculty of Business
All Council Members are paid online (meetings for Council Members are via Microsoft Teams) positions offering $12,000 for a one-year term of service. Serving one-year terms from May 1 to April 30, Council's primary focus is student representation and advocacy. With the eight (8) Council Member paid position, two of these positions are appointed as Chair and Vice-Chair of Council upon the Councils first meeting in May. These two roles have an increased governing responsibility on Council.
- The Chair receives an additional $500 per month.
- The Vice-Chair receives an additional $250.00 per month.
Please ensure to read the role descriptions below prior to running in the AUGSA Council election.
You can review AUGSAs bylaws and policies for additional information on the roles and responsibilities of each position as well as election rules that govern the elections process.
*Click here to view Frequently Asked Questions for those considering running in the 2023 Council elections.
- All Graduate Students are eligible to run in the AUGSA Elections.
- You must reside in Canada and be an active member of the Association for the duration of the term (May 1 to April 31).
- All Council members must be *active members in good standing, successfully complete at least three (3) University graduate credits during their term in office and may not academically withdraw during their term.
- Students who are not in course-based programs and do not fulfill the three-credit requirement can participate/remain as a Council member if they get prior approval from a two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of Council. These students must remain in a graduate program and be actively paying program fees.
- Permanent full-time Athabasca University staff are not eligible to run for Council Member positions.
*Active members of the association includes all graduate students, program and non-program, at the University who are in good standing.