APPLICATION DEADLINE: JANUARY 31, 2023
Mitacs is hiring a small but mighty group of mature students to help our Globalink interns get settled, work hard, and have a great experience in Canada this summer! As a Globalink Mentor, you are expected to commit 10 hours per week to this four- to five-month position and will be compensated $20 an hour.
During the summer of 2023, undergraduate students from Australia, Brazil, China, Colombia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Mexico, Pakistan, Taiwan, Tunisia, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the United States will complete a 12-week research internship at a Canadian university through the Mitacs Globalink program.
The Mitacs Globalink program is doing vital work to help improve the innovation capacity of Canada, and we need people like you to help us make this work. For information on the Globalink Research Internship program, please visit the following webpage: https://www.mitacs.ca/en/programs/globalink/globalink-research-internship.
Mitacs is a national not-for-profit that helps industry and not-for-profit partners solve strategic challenges by leveraging Canada’s world-class post-secondary talent and a global network of industry, academic, and government partnerships. Through these collaborations, Mitacs helps business and community partners succeed, improves students’ on-the-job skills development, and strengthens Canada’s world-class innovation ecosystem. At Mitacs, we strive to develop the next generation of innovators with vital research and business skills. In partnership with domestic and international companies, governments, and academia, we support a new economy using Canada’s most valuable resource — its people.
The role of a Globalink Mentor is to provide support for around ten Globalink Research Interns (GRIs) between May and October. Some email communication is also required in April to connect with interns before they begin their internships. Globalink Mentors help GRIs become oriented to their host university and provide ongoing weekly support. The position requires a commitment of around 10 hours per week. More work is needed at the beginning of the term when the GRIs arrive; less work is required throughout the summer as the GRIs become more comfortable.
A. Welcome package
- Prepares a (one-page minimum) welcome package and sends it to GRIs before arrival
- Attends online training provided by Mitacs to all Globalink Mentors
- Provides pre-arrival information to the GRIs as they prepare to arrive in Canada
- Follows up with GRIs to confirm they have arrived and to answer initial questions about the host town/city
- Ensures GRIs have information about campus and understand how to reach their research location.
- Supports GRIs to open a bank account following Mitacs instructions (for example, recommending a branch near the campus)
B. Social Events
- Must organize two social events for all assigned GRIs.
C. Ongoing Support
- Must contact GRIs at least once a week to check up on them and answer their questions.
- Perform additional support work as assigned by Mitacs.
D. Wrap-up and Reporting
- Must contact each GRI one week before the internship end date to ensure they are prepared for departure (if applicable) and the end of their internship.
- Submits a final survey to describe the experience and provide feedback.
- Must have attended the host university for two years or more (or is a Globalink alumnus who is now a Canadian graduate student)
- Must remain in the host city/town for 80% or more of the summer if mentorship is inperson
- Must be legally permitted to work off-campus in Canada.
- Must be able to speak and communicate in English or French Assets:
- Understands international students and their needs
- Experienced in navigating and respectful of cultural differences
- Strong familiarity with the host university and local community
- Experience as a Residence Don/Advisor or supervising other students
- Involvement in extra-curricular clubs, hobbies, and activities
Mitacs provide training in April. GRIs assigned to a mentor may begin their internships in May, June, or July and remain in Canada for approximately three months. We ask that applicants notify Mitacs of any scheduling conflicts, but ultimately Mitacs will assign GRIs to mentors based on the schedule of the GRIs attending the institution. Please alert the Globalink team to any restrictions which may affect your availability.
To join our team for summer 2023, please submit your application here: 2023 Globalink Mentor Application Form | Mitacs
We appreciate your interest in joining the Mitacs Globalink team. We look forward to hearing from you! Application deadline: January 31, 2023. Early applications are encouraged. Questions? Please get in touch with our team at email@example.com.